Hone your stories to make them publication-ready.
How do you take an early draft and make it publication-ready? Each week, we will read interviews and essays from established writers in order to learn better editing practices to make our own stories stand out. As a group, we will workshop participants’ short stories or novel excerpts (15 pages or fewer). Each writer will leave the workshop with written feedback from the instructor and the group as well as a more established revision plan for this and future works. We will also discuss strategies for submitting our writing to journals, publishers, and agents. participants should have a piece of fiction 15 pages or fewer ready to submit by the first workshop.
In-person class: This workshop will take place at The Writer’s Center, 4508 Walsh St, Bethesda MD.
In this workshop you’ll learn:
- A revision practice that works for you and can be used with future work.
- An understanding of language and structure that stands out and makes your stories pop.
- A list of publishers who would be right for your work.
- About 5 hours will be required with more reading available if time allows.
- All reading materials will be provided.
Who should take this workshop?
- This workshops is perfect for writers who have written (and maybe even published) a few manuscripts and want to step up their practice and writing.
If you need an accommodation for this workshop, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will attempt to fulfill all requests, but advance notice is necessary to arrange for some accessibility services.