Create a character who a reader cares about.
At the core of every good tale is a character with whom the reader wants to spend time. Discover how to move beyond the superficial and cliché, crafting characters who invite the reader to explore the human condition. Illustrations and exercises will help to uncover your character’s inner values (in memoir that character is you) and present them in ways that are integral to your story. We will examine effective techniques for depicting character yearning, physical description, internal conflict, and come to understand what influences reader empathy.
Live video conference: This workshop will be held via our online video conferencing platform, Zoom. You can view brief tutorials on using the platform here. On the start date or the day before, participants will receive an email with login info (please check your spam if you don’t see it).
In this workshop you’ll learn:
- Moving beyond Stereotypes
- Character Yearning and Motivation
- Effective Character Description
- No additional time required outside of class.
- All reading materials will be provided.
Who should take this workshop?
- This workshop will benefit those beginning and intermediate writers who are writing a novel, short story, or memoir.
If you need an accommodation for this workshop, please contact us at email@example.com. We will attempt to fulfill all requests, but advance notice is necessary to arrange for some accessibility services.