Expand your poem’s meaning and grab readers’ attention with stronger titles.
Titles are one of the most important spots in a poem, but what makes a good title? How can a title expand a poem’s meaning and impact? How can a weak one hold back important revisions? In this class, we’ll review the six main kinds of titles and study strong examples. We’ll do some powerful in-class exercises to discover new titles that perhaps lead to stronger revisions. Please bring 2-3 poems (not first drafts) that still need a good title.
Live video conference: This workshop will be held via our online video conferencing platform, Zoom. You can view brief tutorials on using the platform here. On the start date or the day before, participants will receive an email with login info (please check your spam if you don’t see it).
In this workshop you’ll learn:
- what makes a good title
- six different ways to title your poems
- when a “holding title” might be holding back a poem
- how titles can open and expand a poem’s potential
- some exercises to improve the titles of your poems-in-progress
- No additional time required outside of class.
- All reading materials will be provided.
Who should take this workshop?
- This workshop is for poets of all levels who what to improve titling their poems and/or learn more about the types and power of a good title.
If you need an accommodation for this workshop, please contact us at email@example.com. We will attempt to fulfill all requests, but advance notice is necessary to arrange for some accessibility services.