The sonnet gives you a form in fourteen lines, from which to rebel, to liberate yourself, to experiment, to produce new and stirring variations.
We will define and then write “free”sonnets after studying the traditional sonnet forms known as the Shakespearean and the Petrachan. Over three sessions, participants will write drafts of three sonnets.
Live video conference: This workshop will be held via our online video conferencing platform, Zoom. You can view brief tutorials on using the platform here. On the start date or the day before, participants will receive an email with login info (please check your spam if you don’t see it).
In this workshop you’ll learn:
- Learn meter and rhyme schemes of different sonnet forms
- Learn about the volta (turn) in a sonnet
- Define the free sonnet
- One hour for each of the three sessions.
- No required books. Some reading material will be provided via email
Who should take this workshop?
- This workshop is designed for all poets/ from beginning to experienced. It allows participants to experiment with the sonnet form and get feedback from an experienced poet teacher as well as classmates.
If you need an accommodation for this workshop, please contact us at email@example.com. We will attempt to fulfill all requests, but advance notice is necessary to arrange for some accessibility services.