Write a villanelle!
Some of your favorite poems may be villanelles, whether you know it or not. Guided by an internationally published author of sonnets, villanelles, and other metrical poems, you’ll first read time-honored villanelles to see how and why they work. Next the class will write a group villanelle, and then, with or without shortcuts, you’ll start one of your own. You’ll leave with at least one new (draft) or improved villanelle, as well as insights about how writing poetry in form can unlock deeper meaning and enhance everything you write.
Live video conference: This workshop will be held via our online video conferencing platform, Zoom. You can view brief tutorials on using the platform here. On the start date or the day before, participants will receive an email with login info (please check your spam if you don’t see it).
In this workshop you’ll learn:
- How a villanelle is like a romance
- How repetition can be playful and,or meaningful
- Learn from Dylan Thomas, Elizabeth Bishop, Theodore Roethke, and other masters.
- 1/2 hour outside of class per week
- All reading materials will be provided.
Who should take this workshop?
- This workshop is designed for anyone who would like to either improve their villanelle skills or try writing one for the first time.
If you need an accommodation for this workshop, please contact us at email@example.com. We will attempt to fulfill all requests, but advance notice is necessary to arrange for some accessibility services.